Tuesday, May 31, 2005

THE WHEEL

.
a mother awoke her son and said, go down and hurt your father.
can't i do it tomorrow? i was just having a dream in which i was revenging myself against you, he said.
you can dream tomorrow, the mother said.
so the son went down and tied a wagon wheel to his father's neck.
i am not a vehicle, get this dirty thing off me, said the father, for as you see i am writing a history of your mother.
the son yawned and went upstairs again.
he heard his father below: get this wheel away from me quickly, as his father crawled with the wheel dragging from his neck. he heard his father scream: i do not want to write the history of the wheel...get this wheel away from me or i shall not be responsible for its safety.
help help help, i cannot get away from a wheel. a wheel drives me crazy. a wheel has spokes which ray out of the hub to the rim.
help, i am beginning to fall in love with a wheel- i court a wheel because a wheel is to be courted- i marry a wheel- we live happily ever after.
help help, i cannot get away from a wheel.
the son heard his father sighing: i am set out with a wheel. i go down the road with a wheel. i do not ride a wheel, i drag it because it will not stand up, as it is enraptured with me as my wife is not; that it clings to my neck as i crawl through the dust of the road.
.
russell edson in 'the very thing that happens'
.
.

0 Comments:

<< Home